Admission Eligibility

Who is eligible to be admitted to Charlotte Hall Veterans Home?

  • A Maryland veteran who served on full time active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces, other than active duty for training, and was discharged or released under honorable conditions.
  • Certain members of a reserve component of the U.S. Armed Forces who meet the legal residence requirements.
  • Certain Non-veteran spouses of eligible veterans to be admitted to Charlotte Hall.
  • Maryland resident, at least 62 years of age or deemed disabled by either Social Security Administration or the US Department of Veterans Affairs.
  • For the health, safety or welfare reasons, Charlotte Hall Veterans Home may decline to accept an applicant. 

Evidence of Qualifying Military Service

One or more of the following documents constitute acceptable evidence of qualifying military service.

  • Military discharge records, such as a Form DD214 or WD AGO Form 53-55.
  • A document issued by the National Personnel Records Center that carries the weight of an official discharge document.
  • A document, or State records, that establish honorable, active military, naval or air service.

Evidence of Maryland Residency

The applicant must establish that he was a resident of Maryland at time of entry into service (Home of Record on the DD Form 214), or immediately prior to admission. A "resident" means a person:

  • Who is domiciled in Maryland, and/or
  • Who owns, rents, or leases a primary place of residence in Maryland, and/or
  • Who has filed as a Maryland resident for income tax purposes the year immediately preceding admission.

Burden of Proof in Establishing Eligibility

The burden of proof in establishing eligibility for admission to Charlotte Hall is upon the veteran, his Responsible Party, his next-of-kin, or legal representative. Veterans who need to obtain verification of their service may contact The Maryland Department of Veterans Affairs (Veterans Affairs) at 410-230-4444. The Veterans Affairs has service record data for Marylanders from WWI to the present, with the exception of Korea and the peacetime period immediately following Korea. If a veteran is unable to obtain verification of their service from the Veterans Affairs, they should complete a SF-180, Request Pertaining to Military Records and submitting it to the National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis, Missouri. A SF-180 form may be obtained by contacting any of the Veterans Affairs offices.

Right to Appeal Eligibility Determinations

The veteran, his Responsible Party, or legal representative may appeal a decision concerning eligibility of a veteran for admission to Charlotte Hall. The appeal must be in writing and submitted to the Director, Charlotte Hall Veterans Home. If the applicant desires to appeal the Director's decision, the next and final appeal must be submitted in writing to the Secretary of the Maryland Department of Veterans Affairs. This appeal may be heard by the Secretary or his designee.

Back to Admissions

Home Admissions Contact Us Volunteering Donations Employment FAQ's
Copyright © 2024 A Service of Technology Reflections, Inc. - Administration Login   |  Total Visitors 2,570,024   |  Visitors Today 348