History of Charlotte Hall Veterans Home
Charlotte Hall Veterans Home is a program within the Maryland Department of Veterans Affairs and is the only veterans home in the State of Maryland. The facility opened in 1985 and is situated in a beautiful park like setting on 126 tranquil acres. The Home is a 454-bed facility providing a continuum of care from the 168-bed Assisted Living unit to a higher level of care in the 286-Skilled Nursing Home. Specialized care, for those suffering from Alzheimer's and other related dementias, is provided in two 42-bed secured units.
Charlotte Hall Veterans Home was funded by a partnership with the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs through the VA State Home Program. The VA grant funded 65% of construction and equipment and the State of Maryland provided 35%. The VA provides a monthly per diem payment to help offset the cost of resident care.
There is an abundance of history that surrounds these sacred grounds at Charlotte Hall. Ye Coole Springs, a fresh water spring, said by Native Americans to have medicinal qualities, and can be traced back to 1698, is thought to be the site of the first hospital in the New World. In 1774, Queen Charlotte founded Charlotte Hall School and until it closed in 1976, was one of the oldest educational institutions in the United States. Around the 1850's the school's curriculum added military training for the students. Also located on the grounds is a beautiful stone chapel, known as Dent Chapel, built in 1883 and the "White House" which was built in 1803 and used as the headmaster's quarters. After a long 200 year history as a boarding military school for boys, Charlotte Hall School closed its doors in 1976 due to financial difficulties.
The State of Maryland purchased the property from the School in 1977 and began the planning phase of Maryland's first and only veterans home. Our mission is "Serving Those Who Served".
Larry Younger, Nursing Home Administrator